Labels

Friday, April 29, 2011

tea and scones

Spring always seems to require more outdoor clean up than I am prepared for. And we’ve had so much rain this April I haven’t had the opportunity to spend as much time in the garden as is needed. Worrying about the state of my garden I looked at the forecast for the week and the only sunny and shower free day seemed to be Friday. Luckily I was able to take the day off from work and it happened to coincide with the royal wedding. Now, I didn’t get up in the wee hours like some, but I didn’t hit the snooze button either.

While the newlyweds were taking pictures inside the castle I made some scones. Years ago one of our favorite family breakfast spots in Milwaukee, the Oakland Café, shared their scone recipe with us. We had to promise never to share it (and we never have). We’ve loved that recipe but it makes about 8 dozen scones. Let’s face it, that recipe only came out at holidays when we had large gatherings. They have been a treat and always an adventure of time, ingredients and, well, calories. Off and on I’ve tried breaking down the recipe into just enough for a few scones. Each attempt has been okay but they never tasted quite right or had that dreamy flakey texture. In honor of the Britain’s historical event I thought I’d give it another go and I am thrilled to say I have finally met with success!

Congratulations to Kate and William and thank you for giving me an excuse to try again…

Oh, and PS…the sun is indeed shining…it’s going to be a beautiful day. Cheers!

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget