Labels

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Reduce, Recycle, Reuse: Trellis & Nylons


Just repurpose those nylons destined for the garbage (or sitting in the corner of your closet looking for a good use) by cutting them strips and use them as ties. Vines can be delicate, especially once fruit begins to form. Heavy cucumbers and tomatoes can truly weigh down a vine and I’ve found the standard options of string, plastic coated wire or tape can occasionally cut into the vine, especially in a good wind. Nylons are a perfect option. They are strong, flexible and soft enough to cradle the vine.

I must admit, in this business casual world I don’t find many opportunities to wear hose (ah, poor me...). However my mother is old school and has a plethora of abandoned hose looking for useful purpose. She has given me enough to last my garden for several years to come!

2 comments:

blake said...

smart idea! I have a sad little basket of hose that never see the light of day... thanks for the tip.

And your vines look very happy! :)

PrairieGarden-Liane said...

Hi Blake - I was a little worried about the cucumber vines but in the last week or two they have grown 2-3 additional feet. If I stood still and watched I probably could see them growing!

There was an error in this gadget