Labels

Sunday, August 16, 2009

THE HARVEST: Bacon, Lettuce & Tomato

So looking forward to a BLT…. However the weather has been too cool and the tomatoes too slow to ripen. I grabbed a few hopefuls (Italian Costoluto Genovese Heirlooms) but they were not quite ready. So on the windowsill they have gone.

But I could hold out no longer. I grabbed some cherry tomatoes, fried some bacon and layered them onto fresh greens, mayo and toasted slices of multigrain baguette I picked up at the farmers market yesterday. Yum! So worth waiting for…well almost waiting for that is.

2 comments:

blake said...

the best sandwich! definitely worth waiting for... Incidentally, you may be interested in the DIY BLT challenge over at Michael Ruhlman's blog... I can't wait to see the entries on 9/15.
http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2009/06/blt-from-scratchsummertime-challenge.html

PrairieGarden-Liane said...

Blake – thanks so much for introducing me to Michael Ruhlman blog and the BLT challenge.

I used to be quite the “foodie” but I’ve allowed my best equipment get dusty. I’ll have to give the contest some thought. It’s a cruel of the garden gods not to allow tomatoes and lettuce be in season at the same time here in Chicago!

There was an error in this gadget