Labels

Thursday, July 23, 2009

RECIPE: Balsamic Glazed Carrots

I tried the burgundy colored carrots from the farmers market last weekend and love them. They are a little stronger in flavor than the traditional orange carrots, or may-be the orange carrots I purchased are milder…who knows.

Truthfully there is not much of a difference in flavor to warrant purchasing one over the other. But in appearance they are vastly different. I really like the red rim surrounding the carrot, it’s different and…I like different. When I boiled them I half expected them to stain (as a beet would) the other carrots in the pot, but they didn’t. When I drained the carrots the water was red so perhaps had I boiled them longer, say in a stew, they may have stained the others. But the below recipe is very quick and they don’t have a lengthy opportunity to taint the others aesthetically.

This recipe is easy, quick and the carrots taste fresh. The secret is not to overcook the carrots or over indulge in the ingredients. I honestly don’t know the exact quantities to use so below are estimates, adjust as you like. The sweeter the carrots, the less brown sugar you should use and vice versa.

4 large carrots, thinly and evenly sliced
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Salt to taste

Place sliced carrots in a sauté pan and barely cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and gently boil for 3-5 minutes until carrots can be pierced with a fork but are still quite crisp. Drain the carrots and return them to the pan. Add the butter and brown sugar, stir. Once both are melted into the carrots add a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt.

Serves 4

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget