Labels

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tourist for a Day: The Art Institute of Chicago – The Modern Wing Opening

One of my favorite things is to play tourist in my home town of Chicago. There is something about walking the streets and seeing the sites through a newbie’s eyes. I had a wonderful opportunity and reason to go into the city last week and that was for the opening of The Art Institute of Chicago’s - The Modern Wing. Above is In the Magic Mirror, 1934 by Paul Klee (German)

The building is simply magnificent. The design, lighting (both natural and artificial) and view of Millennium Park alone were worth the visit.

Inside Lobby, a wonderful space.

















Outdoor Pavilion
Still under construction. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

The views of Millennium Park from almost every room are amazing.


And then there is the art…. Below are a few of my favorites.

Sleeping Muse, 1910 by Constantin Brancusi (French)
And no, I have no idea who these ladies are.








Sketch by Salvador Dali
When I think of Dali I think of twisted delusions. Here is a beautiful sketch of a woman’s face. Very small in scale to the framing drawing your eye in.












Woman, 1934 Joan Miro (Spanish)
Okay, I love this painting. However, I like to call it “My Inner Child”
















Reclining Woman, 1922 by Fernand Leger (French) and my mom





Spoon Woman, 1926-27 by Alberto Giacometti (Swiss)


















After touring the museum my mother and I had lunch at the Park Grill in Millennium Park. It was a perfect day to sit out under a sidewalk umbrella having Thyme Roasted Scallops and French bread with an Olive Tapenade.

Here are a few shots of the gardens in bloom in the park.


I love the image of the lone gardener in a field of flowers with the city mirroring her silhouette.





















When I look at these photos I can’t help but think of the scene from the Wizard of Oz as they are running through the poppy fields trying to reach the Emerald City.

Instead of emerald green, Chicago evokes blue of Lake Michigan mixed with steel and stone.

If you haven’t been to Chicago lately…isn’t it about time?








***Please be aware all images are the property of Liane Doxey and are not to be copied or distributed with permission.****

1 comment:

Tish said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
There was an error in this gadget