Labels

Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


Often, myself included, forget that this holiday weekend is about much more than an extra day off of work. Regardless of how we feel about war this is a day to remember and pay tribute to all of the men and women that have given up so much to defend our country that the rights of others.

There is a story I often think of when I look out at my garden and at the white cabbage butterflies darting and dancing among my flowers. The story is of a gentle baby boy that since birth, seemed to always have small white butterflies hover around him and follow him wherever he went. This phenomenon continued as he grew up. This young man went off to war and sadly he was killed in the line of duty. To his family’s additional distress, his body was never recovered. In memory of their son they took a trip to Arlington National Cemetery to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. As they approached the site to their disbelief they saw a flurry of white butterflies floating and dancing above the grave.

I have no idea if this story is true, I only know that the white cabbage butterfly has ever since meant more than the advent of summer. It has been a steady reminder of what so many others have done for me and the loss their lives have meant to their families.

I hope you and your families have a safe and wonderful Memorial Day.
***Please note, the photo above is the property of www.paulsperspectivesphotography.com and be sure to go to his site to see other examples of his wonderful work. ****

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget