Labels

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Seeds, seeds and more seeds.


I feel like a little kid every time I see the first signs of life sprouting from a little dried up seed. Because the seeds are so economical I get a little enthusiastic, okay out of control, grabbing up one packet after another quite forgetting I have a tiny Chicago lot for a garden.

Last year I grew well over 100 plants on my dining room table. I can only imagine what people thought seeing the glow of fluorescent lighting coming from my dining room window in the early morning hours until late at night. This year I have set them up in the basement like a civilized person. They aren’t doing quite as well down there. I think it may be they don’t need as much water in the basement, regardless of the dehumidifier I have running year round.

I’ve just begun planting seeds directly outside. Right now I am planting beets (Gourmet Blend and Detroit Red) and onions (Italian Red of Florence Scallions) from Botanical Interests. I’m also trying the French Breakfast Radishes…and I must admit I’m growing these just because they are so darn pretty! Let’s hope they taste good too. I’m a little late planting the onions and radishes…next year I will have to get moving sooner. Reminds me of the quote “A garden is never so good as it will be next year." by Thomas Cooper. Ain’t it the truth.

2 comments:

Tish said...

Interesting plants you have going. I wish I lived closer (or you closer to me) so I can take part in your harvest. LOL

PrairieGarden-Liane said...

I would love to share!
Time to move :-)

There was an error in this gadget